Dear Tomball ISD Families,
We are excited to welcome our students back this Fall to Tomball ISD, whether in person or virtually. I appreciate you taking the time to complete our survey earlier this summer. This information, along with guidance from local, state, and federal authorities has helped us shape our plan for our return to school. We are working to ensure a safe and productive environment for all. We thank you for your patience and commitment to Team Tomball during this unprecedented time. Even now, just a month prior to school, these plans are fluid and are subject to change dependent on new information and guidance.
Tomball ISD will offer two instructional options for the Fall semester. Parents will have the option of choosing the model that is best for their student(s). Parents will make their selection of instructional model through a commitment form. We are asking for families to commit to their learning option for a semester. However, if families wish to change their mode of learning, requests will be considered at the end of the first nine weeks. Please note that in the event that face to face instruction is delayed and all students are required to begin school in a virtual environment, your option will take effect once students are allowed to return to school face to face.
The commitment form will be sent to families on Monday, July 13, 2020. We are asking that the commitment forms be completed by July 24, 2020. One form per student will need to be completed. If families do not complete the commitment form by July 24, 2020, we will assume that they are opting for the traditional face-to-face model of instruction. Timely completion of the commitment form is critical to the district in order to successfully staff, design master schedules, plan for classroom space, and plan for both models of instruction.
Two Return to School learning options will be available for students:
Tomball ISD families will select one of the two options for their children.
- Option 1: Full-time in-person on campuses, with heightened hygiene and disinfection protocols.
- Students will become acquainted with the Learning Management System - Schoology within their classrooms. This instructional enhancement will support instruction and student success if schools have to temporarily close or if students must be absent from in-person instruction.
- In accordance with state guidelines, students will be required to wear facial coverings on campus.
- Students will be socially distanced 3-6 ft apart when feasible.
- Heightened cleaning procedures will be in place.
- Visitors to campus will be limited.
- Please see our website for further information regarding our safety protocols and plans.
- Option 2: Full-time virtual online learning (Tomball Virtual School)
- This will be different than remote learning in Spring 2020
- Instruction will be supported through a Learning Management System - Schoology.
- Learning will be synchronous (requiring students to be online a minimum amount of time a day at assigned times interacting with a teacher during school hours) and asynchronous (requiring students to work on their own with flexible times).
- Attendance is taken and required.
- Grades will be taken and averaged into yearly average and GPA consistent with in-person learning.
- Rigor and accountability in instruction and assignments
- Not all courses may be available in the online environment. Students may have to adjust their course selections at the secondary level.
- A final decision will be made regarding extracurricular activities once information is received from state and UIL.
Regardless of the option that you choose, the expectations for courses and the grading guidelines will be the same, whether in person or virtual. We know that you likely have many questions before making this important decision.
Please visit our website starting on Monday, July 13, 2020 to review the details of each instructional option. We will be posting an FAQ page and will continually update this page as information is developed and is available to the District. This information will guide you in making an informed decision as to what you feel is best for your student(s).
We know that the Fall semester will look completely different, but we are steadfast in our commitment to provide quality instruction whether in a face-to-face environment or in a virtual setting. I appreciate your understanding and support as we work through these trying times. Together, we are Team Tomball!
Please continue to stay safe and healthy.